Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Old Soldiers - the short story - gets a reading

As anyone who has read this blog will attest, my quest to give my one-act play, "Old Soldiers" 'legs' so to speak, borders on the obsessive. There is something about the characters and the story line that has become part of my psyche and touched my soul. They have become as close to me like extended members of my family.

In the way of background information although I've probably shared this in a previous posting, the story line it is based on an interview with army veterans conducted a while back for my newspaper column, focusing on their Remembrance Day memories. Somehow, it caught my imagination and slowly developed into a short story, actually more towards a novelette.

Over the years it was tweaked and eventually put into cyber storage. The characters, though, wouldn't be forgotten, which led to the creation of the one-act play.

As a member of a small writer's group, we read our latest projects out loud for critique and comment, resulting in helpful feedback. Old Joe McKenna and his army buddies decided they wanted to come out of cyber storage and be heard. Who am I not to grant them the opportunity? The original story is dramatic with serious overtones, whereas in the play version the characters have been flushed out to make them individuals in their own right and to propel the story along.

In reading the story, it was so quiet you could have heard the proverbial pin drop. The characters were ready for their public debut and as line after line was recited, their story played out in my mind. Needless to say, Joe and his buddies were enthusiastically received and there were calls by everyone to extend it into a book. The listeners wanted more and there was a half-hour discussion and suggestions offered as to where the story line could go. In explaining that I was working on a play version, they also wanted to hear the play read out loud. I'm very superstitious in sharing in as far as my new plays are concerned although it is a valuable opportunity to gauge their reaction to the contents. We'll see.

Meanwhile, Joe and the guys have left the room, happy that they had a chance to be heard. It's the least I could do.



No comments: