Friday, May 24, 2013

Looking back to look forward

During my daily check-in of my various blogs, somehow this blog always makes me feel guilty. There is always a lengthy gap between updates because, basically, I'm a procrastinator. My writing is always full of big intent but then for whatever reason, it passes and rather than force a personal confrontation, it falls by the wayside.

"So what have you been doing, Eleanor?" you might be wondering.

I've finally decided on an ending to "Old Soldiers" but now I'm having doubts as to whether pursue this play, given its subject being an aging, very-old soldier who wants to make his last stand count. Although there is no violence, recent turn of events are making me think twice about its suitability.

Here we have Joe McKenna, a man who did his part for his country, saw action in WWII and now as an aging, frail veteran with a failing body, wants to make a point, a plea actually, on behalf of all vets. It's the culmination of his desire to leave his mark and an unexpected meeting with two strangers that influences the final outcome. Throughout the play, there is comic relief with the interaction of Joe and his buddies. Thing is...I love the dialogue and the premise of the play.

Having not read, "The Lemon", a 20-minute comedy play-ette I wrote a while back (why are all my plays in the "written a while back" state?) for a while, I'm attempting to turn it into a one-act play. Also planning to work on another started-but-semi-abandoned play, "Dead Writes" in which I've written three scenes.

In the way of positivity and progress, I've submitted my one act play, "Retribution" to a theatre and hoping that it will meet with an acceptance. Not saying/writing anymore about it because I'm superstitious and it could jinx the end result.

Hopefully, the next update will be sooner than later but one never can predict these things. Most likely... Maybe... Soon for sure...

No comments: