Friday, December 23, 2011

SCENES FROM LIFE: A SHORT PLAYETTE

CHRISTMAS AT THE HAIRDRESSER



SCENE: A SMALL HAIR SALON. A FEW DAYS BEFORE CHRISTMAS. PEOPLE ARE SEATED ON CHAIRS WAITING FOR THEIR TURN. THE SOUND OF HAIR DRYERS OBLITERATES THE SOUND OF THE TV SET. CLIENT ENTERS WITH A SMALL GIFT BAG IN HAND


CLIENT 1

‘Hello all! Busy, busy, today, aren’t we?’


(Hair stylists turn to look at her as she passes, nod. CLIENT approaches PEGGY, hair stylist, who is absorbed in conversation with another female, LATE CLIENT)


PEGGY

I really can’t do streaks today. I’m sorry but you’re over an hour late and look – my customer is here already


(PEGGY turns to CLIENT 1as does the late client)


CLIENT 1

Um...yes. I’m here for my appointment


PEGGY

See? She’s here on time!



(LATE CLIENT stares at PEGGY and then at CLIENT 1)


LATE CLIENT

But...when am I gonna get my hair done? Look – it’s a disaster!


PEGGY

Like I told you – you’re here an hour late. I tried to call you...


LATE CLIENT

...like I told you – I moved so that’s why you couldn’t reach me


PEGGY

Uh-huh... Well, that still doesn’t change anything. There is absolutely no way I can do your streaks today...or tomorrow



(LATE CLIENT moves close to PEGGY to discuss it further)



PEGGY

...no – it’s impossible....really I can’t...it’s not fair to my client...



CLIENT 1

Yes – it’s not fair to me! I have things to do – places to go...


LATE CLIENT

I’m sorry I’m late but I had to get here from the city by bus and...that’s why I’m late. Like I said – I moved. Guess I’ll have to wait


CLIENT 1

Your hair doesn’t look that bad


LATE CLIENT

Not to worry. I’ll just trim the front myself


PEGGY

No!!! Don’t do that! Look – sit down and I’ll at least cut your bangs (turning to CLIENT 1) ‘It’ll only take a couple of minutes’


LATE CLIENT

...traffic was bad – you know, Christmas and all...


PEGGY
(distracted)

...uh-huh... There.


(rolls chair back and starts to help LATE CLIENT out)


PEGGY (cont’d)

Call me. Okay? I’m sorry but you were late...


(PEGGY kisses LATE CLIENT on either cheek. LATE CLIENT leaves looking forlorn)


PEGGY

Why do I have to feel guilty, huh? Why?


MARY (other hair stylist)

She was friggin’ late! Not your fault!


CLIENT 1
(sitting down in chair)

If you would have done her hair now, all your other clients would have had to wait, including me


PEGGY

She tells me she moved but I called her before and got her answering machine. Does a person who moved still keep an answering machine on?


CLIENT 1

Perhaps...I mean, of course not! She was making excuses, probably


PEGGY

(picking up appointment book full of written appointments)

I mean, look! I’m full up for today AND tomorrow! Why am I felling guilty!


MARY

You shouldn’t! Feeling sick...


PEGGY

Take tea or something


MARY

(opening box of cough drops and taking one)


PEGGY

You shouldn’t take so many. They’ll upset your stomach


CLIENT 1

How often does the box say you can taken them?


MARY
(reading side of box)

‘...take as needed...’ (pops one into her mouth) Anyway, my doctor says they’re useless


CLIENT 1

So why take them?


PEGGY

They’re probably just candy, anyway


(phone rings)


MARY

Friggin phone! ‘Shut up!’ Never stops!



PEGGY

That’s why they pay us the big bucks, honey! To do clients hair


(PETER, male stylist stomps by, grabbing towel for hair)


PETER

Same shit – different smell...!


CLIENT 1

Oh I like that – never quite heard it expressed that way

MARY

I told him that!



PETER

Whatever...okay – you told me that...


CLIENT 1

Oh – almost forgot to give you this


(hands PEGGY small red bag)


CLIENT 1

‘Merry Christmas’! Figured rather than get you something you probably have a million of at home, a gift card is more practical


PEGGY

Oh you shouldn’t...it’s not necessary...but thank you. You’re right. This is the perfect gift


CLIENT1

BTW – we’re going lighter today


PEGGY

You don’t want streaks, right?


CLIENT1

No worry – no streaks


PEGGY

Good because streaks are out of the question. Gee – I hope my client got home okay...I mean, she’s not young or anything


CLIENT1

I’m sure she did


PEGGY

You think so? What happens if she really moved into town and she has to wait for busses and...


MARY

She has an answering machine, remember?


PEGGY

Oh yeah! Forgot about that. Anyway, two more days and I won’t have to think about streaks, or cuts, or blow-dry.


(phone rings – PEGGY answers)

‘No – like I told you an hour ago – I can’t do your streaks! Really... Where can I get in touch with you in case I have a few cancellations? That’s your old number isn't it? Didn’t you tell me you moved?’

No comments: