Thursday, December 15, 2011

BARBIE THROWS A CHRISTMAS PARTY - ALONG WITH SOME FRIENDS


SCENE: THE MALIBU HOME OF BARBIE, THE WELL KNOWN BORDERING ON FAMOUS, VINYL FASHIONISTA. BARBIE, ON TIPPY-TOE, IS DECORATING HER CHRISTMAS TREE, WHILE SINGING. SHE IS INTERRUPTED BY THE SOUNDS OF MACHINE GUN FIRE OUTSIDE.



BARBIE

"Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...Jack Frost nipping at..." Just what I need now

(the door flings open and G.I. Joe, machine gun in hand, backs into the room)

G.I. JOE
(whirling around to face BARBIE)

Don’chu fear – G.I. is here!

BARBIE

How could I like...miss you. Can’t you just like...knock on the door or ring the bell like normal people?

G.I. JOE

How many times do I gotta tell you, babe – G.I. Joe is not like normal people

BARBIE

You are so right

G.I. JOE

Thank you, babe. A soldier’s gotta do what a soldier’s gotta do. You never got to worry about the enemy when I’m around

BARBIE

Like...that’s the problem, Joe...

G.I. JOE
(moving furtively around the room, searching)

...is it the enemy? I’ll handle it. Don’t worry...

(G.I. JOE checks up the chimney and Christmas decorations fly off the mantle as he moves out. He whirls his arms in a frenzy to remove them)

G.I. JOE

I’ve taken care of these enemy – um – tinsel thingies because – um – you can’t be too careful

BARBIE

Oh Joe – now look what you’ve done! Those were the last five hundred packages of tinsel!

G.I. JOE

Hey – they could have been – um – dangerous or something... A soldier’s gotta do what a soldier –

BARBIE

- I know. ...gotta do.. Now Joe – I’m having my Christmas party tonight and I want you to like... try and act normal, okay?

G.I. JOE

Hey! You don’t have to worry ‘bout me, babe! I’ll blend in the crowd

BARBIE

That’s what worries me! Can you, like...forget about the machine gun for one night, maybe?

G.I. JOE

No can do, babe. (caresses the machine gun) We’re never apart. We shower together, eat together. We do everything together. Hey – I even sleep with her

BARBIE

Her? You’ve given your weapon a sex?

G.I. JOE

Hey! G.I. Joe is not a prevert! We’re just...close, right sweetheart?

BARBIE

You are too much...

G.I. JOE

I know. That's why you like me around

BARBIE

And the word is “pervert”.

G.I. JOE

Prevert...covert...it’s all the same

BARBIE

Sometimes I really worry about you... You're so grammatically-challenged

G.I. JOE

Thanks, babe! I know! My teachers used to tell me the same thing!

BARBIE

So...like...all my best and closest friends will be here so try and act normal

G.I. JOE

Depends

BARBIE

What do you mean?

G.I. JOE

Who'll be here. First I hav'ta frisk them

BARBIE

Not! My friends are not the enemy, Joe! Mind you, a couple of managers... Please don't frisk them or pat them down

G.I. JOE

The Bratz girls didn't mind. I patted them down five times and they wanted more. See? Some people 'preciate Joe's extra care

(there is a knock on the door and G.I. Joe jumps up and hides behind the couch, his gun facing the door)

G.I. JOE

Pretend you’re alone, babe. I’m watching your back

BARBIE

If only you'd watch and not act

(BARBIE opens the door and KEN poses, leaning on his surf board)

KEN

It’s me! Ken! Back from...back from...gimme a sec – I’ll remember..

BARBIE

Swallowed too much water, have we?

KEN

It”s me! Your Ken! Back from –

BARBIE

- you already said that and you're not "my Ken." Remember? Why am I asking you that...

KEN

The last thing I remember was being on a beach...some dude with a funny accent was dead or something...

BARBIE
(rolling her eyes)

Um...Ken – it’s winter and like...a ton of snow on the ground. Shouldn’t you put something on over your surfer trunks?

KEN
(looking down)

I wanna be prepared in case a good wave comes ashore. Can’t be too prepared.

(KEN suddenly is distracted and looks off into the distance)

KEN

“Hi! My name is Ken! I’m a surfer dude! And what’s your name, pretty girl?”

(G.I. Joe jumps out of his hiding place and faces KEN)

G.I. JOE

Well if it isn’t the cutesy-wootsy surfer boy! Or maybe you’re pretending to be the surfer boy. Lemme frisk you to make sure...

KEN

Well – if you insist...

(G.I. JOE pats down KEN)

KEN

And who might you be? I’m Ken and I’m a surfer! Wanna ride the waves together?

BARBIE

Oh my! Look at the time! I have to go and change into one of my new five hundred outfits. The two of you like...sit down and act normal. What am I saying?

(BARBIE leaves the room. There is a knock on the door and as KEN goes to answer it, G.I. JOE springs into action, hiding behind the couch. KEN opens the door)

BLAIN

Hello! Remember me? I don't. I think I'm Blain. From Australia?

KEN

Your face does look familiar... Were you lying on sand somewhere? I’m Ken and I’m a surfer. Wanna ride the waves together? We could have so much fun!

(BARBIE hops down the stairs and rushes over to greet BLAIN)

BARBIE

Blain! Oh Blain! You made it to my party!

BLAIN

I did? Oh yeah. How did I get here? My head hurts...
(G.I. JOE springs out from his hiding place)

G.I. JOE

Cease and desist, babe! I gotta check this guy out! The enemy wears many faces and this guy talks funny

To be continued: Who else will turn up and what will happen when Blain remembers?

No comments: