Tuesday, October 28, 2014

STORM WARNING - SCENE 11

One more scene from one of the plays I'm working on. Actually, I see this more as a film script but we'll see where it goes as it progresses. Quite pleased so far.


STORM WARNING  - SCENE II
 
LEONARD
What is this? Move away and let us pass

CONDUCTOR
Please don’t create problems for me

LEONARD
All we wanna do is stretch our legs. Nothing more and for whatever reason, you won’t let us

CONDUCTOR
No can do

 LEONARD
This is absolutely ridiculous. You can't force us to stay here without a good reason. I’m going to walk, like it or not

MARY
Me too!

CONDUCTOR
(bending over and speaking softly)
I strongly advise you to stay put

LEONARD
Or what? Sorry pal – you gotta provide more information than vague hints and warnings

CONDUCTOR
Don’t ask me more questions that I can’t answer. Look - lemme see what I can do but you gotta wait 'til I get back

MARY
My knees are really painful. Can an old lady at least stand up and take a few steps? Arthritis and all

CONDUCTOR
A few steps but no long walks

MARY
Promise. Anyway, where d'ya think I'm gonna go?

LEONARD
I got news for you, bud. I ain’t got any intention of staying put. You’re really over-reacting to a simple request of taking a small walk through the train

CONDUCTOR
Okay...keep this to yourself. You didn't hear it from me but rumor has it that a passenger has died

MARY
What does this have to do with us? These things happen all the time. We promise we’ll stay away from wherever they’re keeping his body

CONDUCTOR
I mean, could be just a rumor but even if it was true, I wouldn’t be allowed to say, Company rules and all that. They entrust employees to be tactful when the need arises

LEONARD
You do realize you make no sense, whatsoever. Why even tell us in the first place?

CONDUCTOR
Like I said, can't really...


LEONARD
...we know. Share any information...

LEONARD
Why all the mystery? You'd think there was some VIP travelling on the train or something


(Conductor stays quiet for 10 seconds)

LEONARD (cont'd)
Seriously? Somebody important on board, travelling by train no less?

CONDUCTOR

Look - I was told that we'll be delayed in Timmersville. That's all I can tell you right now.

(CONDUCTOR hurries off)


LEONARD
Weird. The guy was really nervous. Kept wiping the top of his lip. If it was a heart attack or normal causes, he wouldn’t bother telling us

MARY
Trying out detective skills, are we?

LEONARD
(staring out of the window)
That’s what you get from hanging out with reporters.  Kind’a rubs off on a person.  Well…well… police are getting on now. This is more than a heart attack for sure.

MARY
Could be you’re right

LEONARD
We're never gonna find out anything sitting here. Don't know 'bout you but I hav'ta use the bathroom and it just so happens to be located down at the end of the car...


MARY
My old knees are stiff and a little walk works wonders for them. They wouldn't stop an old lady with arthritis from a short stroll. I

LEONARD
And if we both happen to overhear something...

MARY
Right...

No comments: