Sunday, August 24, 2014

A new day - a new play. First scene of "Storm Warning"

Sometimes, when all the stars are in alignment and conditions are right, a play writes itself. This was the case with "Retribution" and it seems it's repeating itself in my latest project, "Storm Warning." I'm toying with the idea of possibly making it a dinner theatre piece but will wait to make a final decision, depending on how the story progresses. The character, Linda Stevens, introduced in the next scene, is instrumental in helping to scrutinize some strange goings-on. More characters are added in later scenes. Fun undertaking and an interesting challenge, having never written a mystery-type piece before. Comments both pro and con always welcome

SCENE: Interior of a train. LEONARD WILSON stares out of the train window, his eyes transfixed on the sky. Sitting next to him is, GRANT SCOTT, another passenger, who is absorbed in reading a book.


LEONARD WILSON – NERVOUS PASSENGER
GRANT SCOTT – WEATHER PERSON, KMJO TV
MARY WILLIAMS – SENIOR WITH AN AGENDA
LINDA STEVENS – REPORTER, TODAY’S NEWS MEDIA


LEONARD
(softly to himself)
Snow sky. Just what I need

GRANT
Sorry?

LEONARD
I was talking to myself that it looks like snow

GRANT
It's February.  Gotta expect the white stuff

LEONARD
They called for sun - not snow. Then again ,
they have an accuracy rate of maybe 25%

GRANT
Actually...statistically,
they get it right 50% of the time

LEONARD
Maybe  but never when you need an accurate forecast

GRANT
People think that we have an inside track with  the big guy upstairs. We interpret changing weather systems and fronts. Even then, Mother Nature likes to play tricks on us

LEONARD
By "we" does that mean you're one of them?

GRANT
If you mean do I predict the weather, I work for KMJO. Does that mean we stop talking to each other, now?

(GRANT laughs)

LEONARD
So I’m sitting next to a media personality?

GRANT
Nobody ever called me that but I'll take it

LEONARD
Are you on-camera? I mean, would I recognize you?

GRANT
If you watch the weather at the end of our news and sports broadcast, my face might strike a familiar chord

LEONARD
So...like...how'd you end up doing this? Did you go to weather college or something? Wind is picking up. Not good…not good…

GRANT
Relax, pal.  Ain’t nothing you can do about it. I have a degree in meteorology. As a kid, I was fascinated how heat and cold affect people and animals. Went tornado hunting when I got older and almost got swept away by one.  There’s something about the rawness of nature – you know - the unpredictability that has always interested me. Anyway, now I'm the official excuse for not going into work on snow days or cancelling picnics when it rains. You'd be surprised how many nasty phone calls we get when we're wrong. People take their weather predictions very seriously.

LEONARD
(staring out of the window looking up at the sky)
Your guess would be snow?

GRANT
Most likely. Don't take this the wrong way but you seem very tense about the possibility of a storm on the way. Guess you have an important appointment

LEONARD
(distracted)
Uh-huh...

GRANT
Wouldn’t worry too much. We're travelling by train. Never heard of a train getting stuck in a snow storm, at least not in these parts

LEONARD
But I am. Snow could cause a delay and I can’t afford that

GRANT
You might as well take it easyand enjoy the trip. Worrying won't make things go any faster or better. A teacher once told me that

LEONARD
Look - don't wanna be rude but I don't feel like talking anymore

GRANT
No problem-o. Got’cha loud and clear. It’s my media background that makes me gabby. I'll go back to reading my book

(silence for a few minutes)

(Cont'd. GRANT)
Really looks like we're in for some kind of bad weather for sure

LEONARD
Shoot! Really don't need this!

GRANT
Sorry. I'm blabbering again, aren't I? Not one more word will come out of my mouth

LEONARD
...hadn't counted on snow... Changes things...

GRANT
Look. You're working yourself up for nothing. It's gonna snow whether you like it or want it. The worst that can happen is that we'll arrive late. I'm Grant by the way and you are...

LEONARD
Pissed off. Like I told you, not in a talking mood

(LEONARD pulls at his shirt collar and wipes his forehead with the back of his hand)

GRANT
Really man - you're gonna give yourself a heart attack if you keep on like that. I was only trying to pass the time


LEONARD
Who cares! I gotta get out’ta here

(LEONARD stands up and pushes his way past GRANT and storms down the train aisle
An elderly woman, MARY, seated in the seat on opposite side of the aisle, watches and listens to their conversation)


MARY
Hostile, isn't he?

GRANT
(stretching the upper part of his body, watching LEONARD disappear)
You better believe it!

MARY
You were only trying to make small talk

GRANT
Obviously picked the wrong person to sit next to

MARY
Rude too! Some people have no manners

GRANT
Never mind manners. How about plain, old civility

MARY
Did I hear you say you're a weatherman on TV? Am I sitting next to a gen-u-ine celebrity?

GRANT
(laughing)
Wouldn't go as far as to call myself a celebrity but I do forecasts on TV

MARY
I'm a weather forecaster too, y'know


GRANT
You don't say. Which station?

MARY
Not a fancy prognosticator like you, of course, but when my legs ache, it's a sure sign there's gonna be something

(MARY rubs her knees)

GRANT
And is it gonna snow?

MARY
Major snow I would say by all the pain I’m feeling. Mr. Crazy Man there is gonna freak out for sure

GRANT
The guy’s obviously got somewhere to be. Tough luck. Mother Nature has other ideas

MARY
You know what they say: y’can’t mess around with mother nature! I’m Mary, by the way. Darn! Dropped a stitch. Now I’m  going to have to unravel this and try to pick it up. Oh well. Lots of time to do it
 
GRANT
Leonard.... Leonard Wilson. Friends call me Lenny.  The people that watch me call me a lot of other not-so-nice names when we make mistakes on the forecast. That’s a lot of scarf you’re making there

MARY
People have such high expectation of each other these days.  No room for errors or leniency. You make one mistake and… Listen to me go on. There. Found it.  Not a scarf. An afghan. It’s a cover for a bed

GRANT
You travelling alone? There I go being nosy again. That’s what I get from working in the media. How about the two of us continuing our conversation over a coffee? Maybe we'll meet up with our up-tight friend along the way

MARY
Unless he jumped off the train...

(Conductor interrupts their conversation)

CONDUCTOR
‘Scuse me...sorry folks but I'm going to have to ask you not to leave your seats

MARY
(staring out of the window)
It’s starting to snow. I really hope we’re not delayed… Have to be somewhere by tonight. People are waiting to meet me at the other end. Delay is not acceptable at all… Not at all… Why do we have to stay seated, by the way?

CONDUCTOR (INTERRUPTING)
They’re calling for a major snow fall but it  has nothing to do with the weather

GRANT
Don't tell, me, the state police have come aboard looking for bank robbers....

MARY
…or an axe murderer …

CONDUCTOR
(nervous)
Pesky mechanical problems is all.
 
GRANT
Sorry but I don’t get why we have to stay put. How does our moving around affect repairing the train?

CONDUCTOR
We need to stop over in Timmersville for a spell to get a part. Not sure how long it’s gonna take. What with a storm on its way, it would be better if you don’t wander around
 
GRANT
Say what?  You expect us to sit here for who knows how many hours while a spare train part is found? Ridiculous!  We’re not planning to leave the train or anything

(starts to get up)

(GRANT cont’d)
I need to stretch my legs

MARY
Me too…these old legs can’t stay in one position for long

CONDUCTOR
(blocking them leaving)
Can’t let you do that

GRANT
Let us pass, please. You have no right to stop us

CONDUCTOR
No can do
 
GRANT
Why not?

 CONDUCTOR
Look – they told me to do this and that’s what I’m doing

GRANT
They would be, who?

MARY
You better level with us if you want us to stay put

CONDUCTOR
For your own safety, don’t ask questions

1 comment:

Zelda Rich said...

Love it so far...great !