Monday, July 21, 2014

Arks to Go II - the Flood: a friendly re-call

 A FRIENDLY RE-CALL
by Eleanor Tylbor
 

 
 
SCENE:   ANGIE'S APARTMENT.

AT RISE:  ANGIE WATCHES TV, ALONE.  PHONE RINGS. NO INFO. AVAILABLE AS TO THE CALLER.
 

ANGIE
I may regret this but it could be somebody answering my on-line dating ad. Hello?

NOAH
Guess who?

ANGIE
You have the wrong number

(She disconnects. Phone rings once more)

(cont'd. ANGIE)
Not again... Hello?

NOAH
We seem to have been disconnected...

ANGIE
Actually...no. I recognized the voice

NOAH
This is Angie, right? The person who contacted me a while back about building an ark?

ANGIE
I remember that day only too well and have questioned my sanity since on numerous occasions

NOAH
I get it! You're joking with me, aren't you? Of course you are. 'hahahahahahah' See? I have a sense of humor

ANGIE
I'm not trying to be funny, I can assure you

NOAH
I thought you were. Anywaaaay... so whad'ya think about all the rain we've been having? Think somebody is trying to tell us something? Seems to me that...

ANGIE
Been there - heard that. I'm not in the mood for another one of your philosophical lectures, Noah. I'm gonna disconnect, now.

NOAH
I feel you're upset... Joe busy, is he?

ANGIE
I'm watching a movie. Alone. All by myself.  What does that tell you?    But since you asked, Joe, as  many have before him, moved on

NOAH
Would you like me to look up his new address? I have access to everyone's number on the planet...

ANGIE
I don't want to discuss this with you. Good-bye

NOAH
Your voice tells me something is wrong

ANGIE
Something wrong? You have to ask me if something is wrong? You interrupted what could have been the perfect romantic evening by showing up at my door

NOAH
It was merely a friendly visit. I thought we could get to know each other before embarking on our trip

ANGIE
Excuse me? A really old guy with straggly long hair and a white beard dragging on the floor, dressed in army fatigues and smelling of animal dung, shows up at my door and starts asking my date questions about the next flood and his experience in building arks. What did you think he'd do?

NOAH
Would you like me to call him and apologize? I will, y'know. Perhaps I could make it up to him by offering him a trip on my ark

ANGIE
What ark? You don't have an ark, Noah! Remember? Now if you don't mind and even if you do, I'm going to make some popcorn and...

NOAH
Popcorn? I LOVE popcorn. I'll be right over along with a friend or two...

ANGIE
I don't think so... Hello? Noah?

(DOORBELL RINGS. SOUND OF ELEPHANT AND MONKEY CAN BE HEARD)

(cont'd. ANGIE)  No...please no...

(Angie opens the door. Noah is standing outside)

NOAH
Hope you don't mind that brought along a few friends. They get a little crazy without supervision. So? Where's the popcorn? Tell me, Angie - have you ever thought about adopting a pet?

(TO BE CONTINUED)

 



No comments: