Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Playright's update: yawn

Sometimes, too frequently, I bore myself.

"Why would you say (or write) a statement like that, Eleanor?"

On occasion when things are in a static state (like the sound of those two words together), I begin to question my playwriting ability. Thinking back, the impetus for taking up writing plays in the first place was my love for dialogue. It seemed only natural, at least for me, that playwriting, which consists of telling a story through the spoken word, was  a natural progression. However - it's always the 'howevers' in life that get you - there are times when one questions the quest (still more words when said repeatedly that have a pleasant sound) for recognition by theatres...producers...directors...or anybody, actually.

"So what has you bummed again, Eleanor?"

Nothing new or momentous (I wish!) to report. As shared in previous blogs, I've actually submitted some of my plays to theatres that seemed like a good fit, in addition to entering a competition. As is frequently the case, I'm in a waiting state of being. Waiting and patience is not one of my strong points. In the beginning, waiting for the word - any word - is bearable but as time goes on is when doubt starts to creep in. Like:

- maybe I should have edited it some more
- maybe the dialogue was all over the page and they couldn't read and gave up immediately
- maybe the subject was dumb
- maybe I used the wrong font
- maybe the covering letter rambled

Rant time. Can't understand or mabe don't want to understand why theatres or playwriting competition organizers/readers don't advise playwrights when plays are rejected. As a playwright, hope is frequently the only thing we have to cling to and waiting is tortuous. Okay - I exaggerate. It's definitely nerve-wracking. All it would take is for somebody to write up a few sentences to indicate a rejection. Something to the effect:

"Dear Blah-blah,

Sorry but your play doesn't cut it. We may not even have read it given the amount of submissions we receive. Or perhaps it didn't have enough potential to attract investors. Then again, it could have needed more editing. Go know.

Good luck Ms Mr. blah-blah or whoever,

The person who has been designated to send rejections to playwrights

Now, I mean, that seems simple enough to me. Anything is better than no word and waiting and hoping for some news. Right playwrights reading this?

In as far as other playwriting projects, still in the finishing stages and last few pages of "Neighbors", which in itself is a personal achievement but it's only the first draft. It will be put into storage for a period of time and then brought out again for changes or - heaven forbid - indefinite storage never to see the light of day. No new updates on my "Old Soldiers" submission or the play reading series in which "Retribution" will be introduced to actors - and the world - for the first time. As I've said many times, we live in hope. In the end, that's all we have.

No comments: