Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Playing around: scene 3 of "Dead Writes"

Now and then - more then than now unfortunately - I actually work on plays yet to be finished. One of my favorites (don't I always say that?) is "Dead Writes" started a while back. A comedy, the story line focuses on a deceased, crusty old reporter (Felicia) who has to earn her way into the heavenly quarters by offering her experience and guidance to Chloe, a young up-and-coming writer.

In this is an excerpt, which takes place somewhere between heaven and hell,  how things work and given the guidelines to her assignment. My apologies regarding the formatting transferring the contents from Word.

 
 
DEAD WRITES

SCENE 111


 

TIME:  NEW YEARS DAY

SCENE: Somewhere between heaven and hell – a holding zone. Organ music is playing
 
AT RISE: FELICIA & her guide, JOSIAH, discuss her future - and responsibilities

 

FELICIA

This is just friggin' great!
                                                                             SFX: loud thunder clap
 
Sorry. New Years Day and I'm stuck here in no-man's land! This feels more like…the other place
 
 

JOSIAH

(appearing suddenly)
Heaven is a state of mind, my dear. Really, you should forget about those earthly vices
 
FELICIA
Know what I'd be doing if I hadn't croaked? I'd be sitting in my usual booth at The Flamingo Lounge toasting in the new year, with the gang from "The Sentinal." Right now, we'd probably be uncorking a fresh bottle of scotch, inhaling the fumes and clinking our glasses together, toasting every major story we broke. And let me tell you - there were a lot of 'em! Yup, yup, yup…lots of good juicy ones!
 

JOSIAH

Nobody is denying that you weren't good at your profession. It's your methods at question, here
 

FELICIA

It wasn't easy, 'ya know. There were pressures and if scotch helped me deal with them –who'd it hurt? Oh God….
 
SFX: loud thunder clap
JOSIAH
(looking up)
…of course…she understands. Please, please Felicia dear, choose your words more carefully
 
 

FELICIA

If I had only known -
 
 

JOSIAH

- you probably would have lived your life the exact same way. It's not the first time we've worked with you. In fact, there were many, many times before this one 
 
 

FELICIA

 

Are you telling me that I've been here, done that, before?
 

JOSIAH

We've been sending you back in the hope that you learn your life lesson. You've been close but as you say on earth, no cigar. At least not yet 
 

FELICIA

If you'd tell me what I'm supposed to learn, maybe I could fix it
 

JOSIAH

Were it only that easy. You alone have to find that out for yourself
 

FELICIA

How was I supposed to know things would be held against me in my next life? 'Ya think I expected to die?
 

JOSIAH

People think they're going to live forever and then – poof! You suddenly find yourselves in this state!
 

FELICIA

Listen, where are those gates everyone talks about? It's all a lie, isn't it?
 

JOSIAH

There are gates everywhere, but not visible to you being that you're not ready to enter. Hopefully, you'll learn your way through this time. Consider this place a sort-of… holding position. 'May I have Felicia Pembroke's review?'

 

                                                  (File drops down)
 
Let's see now…
 

FELICIA

Hell – how many more times do we have to review my life?

                                                                                               SFX: THUNDERCLAP

JOSIAH

(looking up)
'I'm so sorry SIR. Believe me, it won't happen again. She knows, she knows! Forgive her SIR, she's a newcomer!'
Aside to FELICIA: You must watch your language! The last thing you need now, is to offend the HTM
 
 

FELICIA

HTM?
 
 
 JOSIAH
    grabbing a sheet of paper that floats down
I must make a point not to use initials when talking to newcomers. Head Team Leader? The "ultimate" head team leader, if you get my drift.  Let me see here …at their last meeting, there still appears to be a split amongst the celestial gate-keepers. The score is five for and five against. A veritable tie
 

FELICIA

This is just typical. I can't even die right like other people. I wasn't that… bad. So I lived a little hard and fast, but my heart was in the right place. I always gave to the Police Benefit and the Adopt-a-Pet Funds!  That ought'ta count for something. There hast'a be a way I can get in than having to work with Chloe
 
 

JOSIAH

As I recall, you made a promise
 

FELICIA

You're not gonna hold me to that! I was traumatized at seeing my body in a casket. Now that I think about it, I haven't looked that good since can't remember when
 

JOSIAH

You assured me that you were willing to do anything to redeem your soul and your entry is conditional based on this covenant. The young lady in question needs your guidance to make it as a reporter, and her future is dependent on your help
 

FELICIA

This is some deal you're offering.  If I refuse, it's a black mark against my record and I can't even take a sauna without passing out from the heat. She – I mean dear, dear, Chloe - can't spell to save herself, and let's not even talk about grammar. What she does to the English language would make Shakespeare turn over in his grave
 

JOSIAH

I happen to know personally, that The Bard is not offended by the well-intentioned efforts of young people. I think you've got what it takes to help her, if you can control those negative qualities
 

FELICIA

 
Let's get going. No time like the present to start
 

JOSIAH

There are some facts you should know about your life on earth, now
 

FELICIA

What's to know? I follow her around and give her advice. How we going down, this time?
 

JOSIAH

There will be some temptations that you would have to deal with
 

FELICIA

Like?
 

JOSIAH

Qualities that are left over from your earth life that could lead you astray
 

FELICIA

Don't worry 'bout me. Nothing or no one is going to stop me from getting it right, this time
 

JOSIAH

 
Felicia, my dear, please be aware of your reason for returning to earth
 

FELICIA

I'm gonna succeed, no matter what it takes. Are we ready to leave now?
 

JOSIAH

But...whatever. It's your funeral. Oh dear...I'm so witty lately
 

FELICIA

Don't I get a set of wings or something, to travel? I always wondered how those things work but I'm a fast learner anyway…
 
 

JOSIAH

Around here, wings have to be earned. Let me remind you that you've got one foot upstairs and the other is in a place we'll not mention, so in the end, it's all up to you. Give me your hand…
 

           FELICIA takes JOSIAH's hand

 

FELICIA

There's no place like home, Auntie Em, there's no place like home…
 
They disappear in a cloud of smoke and re-emerge in FELICIA's former office
 
Hey - she's sitting at my desk no less! I'm gone barely a day and already she's taken over
 

JOSIAH

Remember that nobody can see or hear you except me and soon young Chloe there will be privy to your voice

 

           bell rings continuously
 
(staring upwards) 'Yes SIR... another meeting? But SIR'
 
Aside to FELICIA  Another meeting to attend – they never end in the true sense of the word! I'm leaving you now with the understanding you'll offer any and all your help to her. If you want to climb that stairway to heaven, you're gonna have to do it step by step. Those words are so appropriate…must add that to my heavenly harp composition. Good luck (looks up), 'Yes SIR, I'm coming…'
 
                                                                         JOSIAH disappears

FELICIA

Don't leave! How am I supposed to talk to this dumb… Josiah? Damn him!
 
 
 

SFX: Loud thunder-clap

Sor-ry! Hard to break long time habits
                                                                         approaches CHLOE's desk
 
Well, well, well! If it's not my pal Chloe! Hey kid, anyone ever tell you that you can't punctuate to save yourself? Shoot – this is great!
                                                                           SFX: Loud thunder-clap
 
           FELICIA looks up 
 
Alright already! I get your point!
 

CHLOE

           CHLOE is absorbed in staring at the computer screen
 
Is somebody in the office? You're scaring me!
 

FELICIA

You can hear me?
 

CHLOE

(whirling around)

Oh Lord…this is not possible! I've been over-working. Yes. That's it. I'll go home after writing this story and take a hot shower…
 

FELICIA

It's me. How's the 'puter working? I miss the old thing
 

CHLOE

(to herself)
This isn't real. I wa-was at Felicia's funeral last week, and I saw them put her in the ground! Gotta ask for some time off…I'm hallucinating
 

FELICIA

Oh pleeze! Don't be so over-dramatic! I'm dead! So what's the big thing?

No comments: