Monday, December 02, 2013

Upon writing plays

After finally letting go of "Retribution" and "Old Soldiers" to share with the world - one hopes - it's time to think about developing new plays. Even writing the words, "new plays" gives me an unsettling feeling in the pit of my stomach knowing that merely developing the basic structure of a new play and getting into the brain of new characters takes time. Be that as it may, toying with the idea of creating a play based on my childhood characters. These are people encountered along the way of growing up that remain vivid in my memory, who left a lasting impact on my life in some way. The first step is to decide the direction the story line will take and how to tell the story. Will share progress as things develop.

In other areas, I'm also looking for potential fits for my two full plays. It's been a while since I've focused on finding the right theatre that sees merit in them. Both are comedies but with dramatic overtones as is my "thing." Spent a lot of time this weekend checking out theatre sites to assess which would or could be interested.

There's progress in other areas having at least submitted my short i.e. less than 20 minute, plays to various short play festivals. Haven't heard back one way or the other, which is always unsettling for me. I'm really focusing on having patience and letting things take their natural course. It's always that "just tell me one way or the other!" feeling that impels me to send off something to the effect:

Dear blah-blah,

Sent you my play, blah-blah, a few days/week/months ago. Not sure if you received it since my e-mail system sometimes, somehow, someway, occasionally loses e-mail messages in transit. In this regard, did you receive it? If so, when do you anticipate reading it? Really - it's good. I'm sure audiences will love the story and it only took one/two/three...more years to write.

So if you could check through your files and get back to me, I'd be most appreciative. If not - I can wait.

Meanwhile, there are a number of un-finished and/or un-developed plays that have been languishing in never-never-land, waiting to be developed. Everyone deserves a second /third/fourth...chance to be born, even plays.

Update: Just received an e-mail notification that my 10-minute play-ette to the Snowdance 10-minute Comedy Festival was rejected (again) and didn't make the grade, obviously. Actually, perhaps in retrospect, the writing was on the proverbial wall since they specified that entries be mailed in. In order to cutback on mailing expenses, I e-mailed the contact person and asked if they also accepted entries by e-mail, and he indicated I should send it anyway, which I did. I mean, there can be no other reason why it was rejected being that it was well-written, funny-bordering-on-hilarious and other similar adjectives that adequately describe my entry.

The official refusal read (in part): "I'm sorry to inform you that your entry was not one of the 9 chosen for production. Please accept my sincere appreciation for your time and effort. With so much good material to choose from no entry should feel disappointment or rejection - I wish we had the ability to produce them all." Uh-huh...yup... Oh well...we go on...

No comments: