Friday, January 28, 2011

SCENES FROM REAL LIFE
A SHORT PLAYETTE: "LOTTERY TICKET"



SCENE: CUSTOMER ENTERS SMALL CONVENIENCE STORE




CUSTOMER
(looking around at shelves)
Hmmmm...


(CONVENIENCE STORE OWNER LOOKS UP FROM READING HIS NEWSPAPER FOR A SPLIT SECOND AND CONTINUES READING)


CUSTOMER
Uh-huh....hmmmmmm...


STORE OWNER
Can I help?


CUSTOMER
I'm not sure...I don't see what I'm looking for


STORE OWNER
What is it that you're looking for?


CUSTOMER
Potato chips


STORE OWNER
(glancing over to the chip display)
We have lots of chips - good flavors, too!


CUSTOMER
Yes but...


STORE OWNER
...but?


CUSTOMER
You don't appear to have my flavor


STORE OWNER
And your flavor would be...?


CUSTOMER
Dill pickle with chives


STORE OWNER
Are you sure? We have a good variety...


CUSTOMER
- but no dill pickle with chives, though


STORE OWNER
You're the first person who has ever asked for that flavor


CUSTOMER
But maybe not the last! You should check into it


STORE OWNER
Perhaps...maybe try another flavor this time?


CUSTOMER
Neh! Gotta be -


STORE OWNER
- I know - dill pickle and chives. What about smoky bacon? That's popular with everyone


CUSTOMER
Neh...


STORE OWNER
Okay...I'll check into it for you


CUSTOMER
(approaching counter)
I'd like a lottery ticket


STORE OWNER
That I have. Which one?


CUSTOMER
The one that has a $50 million dollar jackpot


STORE OWNER
Uh-huh - everyone is buying them like crazy, today


CUSTOMER
Why should I be different? Now the big question is should I allow the computer to choose the numbers or should I pick them...


STORE OWNER
Why not buy two - let the computer choose one set of numbers and you choose the other


CUSTOMER
I suppose I could do that... Actually and between you and me - I don't trust the computer. I think they fix it so that certain areas have winners


STORE OWNER
Well this store ain't one of them!


CUSTOMER
(anxious)
You mean...you've never had a winner, here?


STORE OWNER
(quick to respond)
Of course we have. Not a major winner but winners - lots and lots of winners


CUSTOMER
Good. Then give me five


STORE OWNER
You trusting the computer?


CUSTOMER
Yup. Too lazy to fill in the numbers besides they've never come in.


STORE OWNER
But they could one day and you... I mean, of course, that's a good idea

(he presses the computer buttons and pulls out the strip of paper with numbers)

Good luck, lady! If you win - I win, too!


CUSTOMER
Don't hold your breath...there goes another ten buckeroonies. By the way, don't forget to ask about the dill pickle and chives


STORE OWNER
Of course. You never know who will want this flavor that I never heard of


CUSTOMER
Live and learn, I always say

(customer exits)

No comments: