Friday, March 31, 2006

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?



MR. WILLIAM SHAKEASPEAR
FLAT "C"
STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

Dear William,


Glad to receive your latest update, especially the good news that the Globe has decided to use one of your plays. By the way, which one did you decide to use in the end? The ghost one? I'm sort-of partial to anything supernatural. Besides, the public is very "into" this type of story line so it's a wise choice.

As for me...same old, same old. Waiting to receive news regarding the fate of some short plays I've submitted to various competitions. If memory serves me I should be hearing something within the month but then who knows! It's been my experience that no news doesn't necessarily mean good tidings although I keep telling myself it is or could be. Maybe? Hopefully? Keeping my fingers crossed, though, in addition to my toes and my eyes. A little playwriting indulgence and folly.

Of course...being the established playwright that you are and all, you no longer have to concern yourself with such trivialities. I mean, you're so well known and respected in the theatre community that just spotting your name in the pile of submitted plays puts you to the top of the list.

"Oh look!" one reader probably says to another. "It's another one from Willy Boy (I'm sure they probably have that pet name for you or something similar). Of course it will be good and we'll love it instantly but let's go through the motions. It's only fair!"

Do I sound jealous? You bet! I mean - what does it feel like, Willy, to have your play seen by real people? Don't know if I mentioned it - and let's keep it to ourselves - but and I feel so silly even writing this - I frequently use my cat Fluffy and my two dogs, Lester and Hubert, as sounding boards for my plays. Problem is it's difficult to gauge their reaction since they usually sleep through the first act. Actually, through the second act too, however they do wake for the finale when I utter their favorite word: "lunch-ies!"

What can I say, Willy? I take my audiences as I find them. Today I have a reading at the local community center with the participation of the "Ladies of Walmart South" group, some of which I've been told have acting experience. Should be quite an experience and I'll report back to you on the results.

Please give my regards to the gang down at the pub and tell them that Eleanor says 'hi'!' By the way break a leg yourself!

Yours in playwriting,

Eleanor

1 comment:

Al1801 said...

Mistress Eleanor.
Forsooth and fifthsooth. Prithee enlighten me as to what this piece of apparel - Bra - is.

Woulst Titania wear it were she being enamoured of an ass; wouldst it make the countenance of Robin Goodfellow, thou knowest him as Puck, as red as that of a Robin.
Woldst it enhance the figure of Portia as she plead Antonio's case 'gainst Shylock.

Doth it not bind they figure as woulst a girdle. Wouldst it, though, cause a feeling, known only by man, were I to espy this on the body of my beloved Anne Hathaway.
If our gracious Lady Sovereign - Elizabeth - a woman with a lion's heart were to wear it, wouldst futute fashopn magazines make this de riguer, asd quoth by our French friends.
Tell me more, Mistress Scribe, my appetite is yay, whetted.
Bill S.