Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Role playing - the characters speak

And so, the playwright, after many (many) re-writes of her play, ponders the next move assisted by the play characters who have a big invested interest in her decision.

SCENE:    Writing desk with computer set-up. Large coffee mug nearby

AT RISE:  Playwright sits in front of computer staring at screen,  evaluating if/and or what changes are required to play


PLAYWRIGHT
I dunno. Somehow, something doesn't feel right... Maybe I should just delete this play altogether

FEMALE CHARACTER 1
Say what? You've been re-working this play for how many years and now you want to erase all traces of us as if we never existed? What did we ever do to you?

PLAYWRIGHT
That's the thing. You haven't done anything to me or for me

FEMALE CHARACTER 1
And that's our fault? Let's not forget who created us in the first place

MALE CHARACTER
May I interject?

FEMALE CHARACTER 1
It's never stopped you before. Go for it

MALE CHARACTER
Seems to me that she hasn't really created a viable outline, which could offer a direction to follow. We all need guidance, a path that will lead us to enlightenment

FEMALE CHARACTER 1
Oh do tell. And what, if anything, have you contributed in helping her along, other than your bon mots and trite writing quotations

MALE CHARACTER
Officially, I don't exist having been eliminated in the last edit but hope springs eternal that I shall be resurrected in a future story line. After all, I am the only male character and the romantic lead

FEMALE CHARACTER 1
Don't be so sure. Given the amount of times the story line has changed, you could just as easily be converted into a female role

MALE CHARACTER
Actually...thinking back...two months ago I assumed the role of Prince

FEMALE CHARACTER
A prince? I don't remember any plot involving royal characters

MALE CHARACTER
Nothing so regal. Prince was a blood hound in her attempt at writing a dinner murder mystery...

PLAYWRIGHT
...which ended up going nowhere. Maybe this just isn't going to work. Maybe...I should forget about this play, altogether.

FEMALE CHARACTER
Don't be so quick to give up!

FEMALE CHARACTER 2
Absolutely! You're on to something! This re-write will be the one. Hang in there

PLAYWRIGHT
It seems that I'm in a constant state of re-writes. Sometimes you have to see the writing on the wall and call it a day

MALE CHARACTER
Have you sent out the latest version of the play to theatres?

PLAYWRIGHT
Yup. Never heard back, as usual. It's getting to the point where I'm questioning whether I have any ability in writing plays. Perhaps it's just hopeful dreaming. Why go on in the face of reality that the odds of my play being produced are probably a gazillion to one, given the number of playwrights who are doing the exact same thing

FEMALE CHARACTER 1
Don't forget that one of your plays did have a reading. That means something

PLAYWRIGHT
But it's still not the same as a full production in a theatre with an audience.

MALE CHARACTER
You're not serious about - you know - that ominous delete button...it was merely a momentary feeling of weakness. Right? You wouldn't do that to us.

FEMALE CHARACTER 1
We're here for you! Hang in there! Our future depends on it, in the true sense of the word

PLAYWRIGHT
Could I abandon you all after all these years, members of my literary family?

MALE CHARACTER
Far be it for me to ask a favor at this point but would you, perhaps, consider re--writing the Prince character? I mean, if it's possible. Barks, growls and tail wagging aren't among my best traits.

PLAYWRIGHT
Thing is...this play really has possibilities. It has all the essential elements that make it entertaining. Maybe a few changes and edits here and there before sending it out to make its way in the theatre world. Right?

ALL PLAY CHARACTERS:
We're with you all the way, girl!

PLAYWRIGHT
Maybe just this one more theatre...or two...three at the most

No comments: