Wednesday, January 01, 2014

"NEIGHBORS" - the play.

As is the case with many writers of all genres, there is a tendency to start projects that atrophy in cyber space over the years. Okay - clarification: this the case with this writer. I started out writing "Neighbors" as a short, cute-y play-ette a while back and decided that there was potential for a longer two-act version. The premise is, two fueding neighbors living next door to each other, is a common story line but somehow, the characters in this play seem to beg for further exploration. Who am I to refuse?

Here is a small taste of the play. As always, comments welcome. Please ignore the formatting.


NEIGHBORS
By Eleanor Tylbor


CAST OF CHARACTERS:


TAYLOR, JEFFREY, 45,
PORTMAN, ROBBIE, 47,
JENKINS, 50, next door neighbor on other side
PATTY, 40-ish, bartender
MARTINI, 60, land surveyor and friend of PORTMAN

THE TIME

The present, mid-summer


SETTING: Back garden(s) of two neighbors. A picket fence separates their properties

AT RISEMorning. Hot summer's day.

SOUND FX: Lawnmowers

ROBBIE (ROB) PORTMAN lazes in a hammock reading a book while holding a glass of liquid in the other hand. Dressed in cut-off jeans and a grungy tee shirt, his hair is long and unkempt and he sports a heavy beard

Dressed in a short-sleeved dress shirt and pants, JEFFRY TAYLOR, his next door neighbor, is the antithesis of PORTMAN and a perfectionist. TAYLOR tends to his garden stopping periodically to study PORTMAN and finally makes his way over to the fence.


TAYLOR

(wiping forehead)

Must be a hundred degrees in the shade today. I’d be indoors right now if my tomatoes didn’t need pampering. That’s the real secret of growing big veggies, y’know. Give ‘em extra ‘TLC’… Hello? Hope I'm not disturbing you or anything

PORTMAN


           Takes gulp of liquid from glass

Must be them darn chipmunks makin’ a racket again' Gettin’ so’s a person can't read in peace anymore

TAYLOR

How long have you been laying there?

PORTMAN

What time did the sun rise, today?

TAYLOR

Another one of your liquid breakfasts, I suppose?

PORTMAN

For your information it’s orange juice

TAYLOR

And? You expect me to believe that? Oranges aren’t the only thing in your juice to give you – in your vernacular – a buzz

PORTMAN

Go suck a lemon. Wait – you don’t need to. You’re sour enough

TAYLOR

Touchy, aren’t we?

PORTMAN

Sour is as sour does

TAYLOR

You know what I’m getting at…

PORTMAN

Okay – say it. You’re just dying to. Then go away

TAYLOR

It’s not like I haven’t expressed my feelings a thousand times before

PORTMAN

How does what I do affect your life?


TAYLOR
Cheez Portman, it's only gone ten in the morning! You’re well on your way to turning into an alcoholic. Did I say turning into? You are!

PORTMAN
Been there - heard it all before so don’t waste your breath. Go tend to your carrots or something. They need the Taylor touch

TAYLOR
Don’t ask me why but I care ‘bout you. Maybe something to do with the fact we've been neighbors going on twenty years and I don't wanna see you end up with cirrhosis of the liver - or worse

PORTMAN
Since when do you give a crap about whether I live or die?

TAYLOR
Better a neighbor you know than one you don’t. Don’t feel like breaking in a new neighbor at this stage of my life

PORTMAN
Don’chu worry ‘bout me moving away. I intend to be here for a long, long time. It's too much fun bugging the shit out’ta you

TAYLOR
Do you see the incongruity in your chosen profession?

PORTMAN
Maybe I would if I could understand the question. Give me advance warning when you’re gonna give me another of your dumb lectures and I’ll make sure to have a dictionary handy

TAYLOR
Owning a bar must be the best thing that ever happened to you with your thirst

PORTMAN
It’s a living and I like the people who drop by. You know – regular people. Something you wouldn’t know anything about

TAYLOR
Denial – a sign of an alcoholic. Can’t you see the writing on the wall?

PORTMAN
You talking 'bout that "keep of the grass” sign you got posted all over your property? It's the joke of the neighborhood, y'know

           Drains glass and checks watch

Gotta leave. Patty's opening for me today

TAYLOR
Another one of those Hooter waitresses?

PORTMAN
As if someone the likes of you would notice. You’re more into cucumbers, if you get my drift and for your information – not that I owe you anything - Patty is the right hand to my left

TAYLOR
I bet she is just that and more

PORTMAN
What d'you know about sex?

TAYLOR
Spare me your drunken rants

PORTMAN
Take a look at yourself and your life. Work your butt off for a multi-national all those years and what's it got you? A dinky house and a veggie garden. How do you stand the excitement of it all?

TAYLOR
Save me from the melancholy drunk offering his view of life in a brief second of clarity. In all the years we've lived next door to each other, the only position I've seen you is lying on your back, with your lips glued to the rim of a beer bottle. How long has it been, anyway, since you held down any type of job if ever?

PORTMAN
What's it your business?

TAYLOR
I figure you must be in your mid-forties or thereabouts?

PORTMAN
Never found a position to suit my qualifications

TAYLOR
Must be near impossible to find a company that's looking for a hammock tester. How you've managed to survive on next to nothing is nothing short of a miracle, but then I would imagine your needs are few and far between. A bottle opener, a case of beer and you're all set

PORTMAN
Don't need big money to impress people like you do. I'm a simple guy with simple tastes

TAYLOR
And a raging one for booze. How many bottles d'ya drink of that poison a day? A dozen? More?

PORTMAN
Who counts?

TAYLOR
You sure as hell don't. Just bugs me to see you frittering your life away, doing nothing productive

PORTMAN
So don't look man! Turn your head the other way and mind your own business for a change and not mine! Your tomatoes are calling you

TAYLOR
All I can say is that I wouldn't waste mine lying on my back

PORTMAN
Did somebody ask you to? It beats having to listen to you foam at the mouth about the evils of drink

TAYLOR

A person has'ta leave his mark on this world! He's gotta be able to tell his children and grandchildren: I-was-here!

My niece and nephew will know all about me, alright, ‘cause I’m leaving them something to remember me by.  When I pass on, this here house'l go to them, along with those be-u-tee-ful shrubs. Course I'll make sure to have that all included in my will

TAYLOR
By the time they inherit your house if you still own it, those shrubs'l be long gone, I can promise you that

PORTMAN
Might even build a de-lux-y tree house for them this summer so's their grandkids can learn all about nature, up close and personal-like

TAYLOR
Wouldn't count on that, if I was you…

PORTMAN
…maybe hang some tire swings from the branches…

TAYLOR
Over my dead body!

PORTMAN
I can arrange that. Anyway, you don't have any say what I do with them shrubs, anyway

TAYLOR
Maybe not right now but don't count on their presence much longer. We been neighbors for how long, now?

PORTMAN
Too long for my liking

TAYLOR
Must be fifteen years at least – maybe twenty?

PORTMAN
Praise be! You're thinking of moving at last. I know some guys who'll move you real cheap. 'Course you may never see your furniture again…

TAYLOR
How come the topic of conversation between us always ends up about your so-called shrubs growing on my property? Ten 


No comments: